Wake Up Chocolate Chunks
These delicacies wake us up to Passover’s messages of freedom and conscience.
- 1 pound dark chocolate, chips or broken into pieces
- 1 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, dates, or other dried fruit
- 1⁄8 cup coffee beans
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Matzah meal (optional)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or waxed paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor with the chop blade, combine the almonds, raisins, coffee beans, and cayenne.
- Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Stir the cocoa into the melted chocolate.
- Once the mixture is even and getting stiff, add the chopped nuts and fruits.
- Keep stirring.
- Taste to check the spice level.
- If the mixture is too moist and sticky, add more nuts, or matzah meal, or wait until firm enough to handle. (Cooling in the refrigerator will firm the mixture faster.)
- Roll the mixture into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cool completely.
- Remove from the baking sheet and store in a covered container.
Approximately 20 chunks